January 3rd – Indiana Runner's 2012 Year in Review!
January – By Justin Floyd
January is usually a slow month in terms of running as the indoor season is just beginning but this year seemed to have more action than usual with some fast times and big names showing some form early.
- The Indoor season started in earnest with several early marks by big names: Kyle Duvall (Westfield) 4:27, Connor Sorrells (Barr Reeve) 9:02 for 3000m @ TH Open (1/7)
- Kyle Johnston (Penn) clears 14’0 and 2 weeks later clears 15’3 with both marks coming @ Ann Arbor, MI. Terry Batemon of Warren Central gets field event fans excited with the potential of a rivalry by jumping 4.55m (14’9) @ IWU (1/28)
- Terre Haute North’s John Mascari transfers from IU to ISU.
- 5 Indiana grads run the Olympic Trials Marathon http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/general-f4/indiana-hs-alum-at-us-olympic-marathon-trials-t6066.html
- Early state bests were set at IU’s Gladstein Invitational (1/20-1/21) by Brandon Smith (WC) 4:19.71 for the mile and Jacob Carmichael (Muncie Central) runs and impressive 50.53 for 400m.
- Indiana continues to roll at the Trine Invite in Kentucky on 1/21 where Joey Zelinski (SB St. Joe) runs a 9:21 for 3200m
- Coach Potter announces 2012 HSR meet would be at Indiana Wesleyan for the first time.
- Futsum and Erba named XC Indiana Gatorade Athletes of the Year. Futsum wins National Gatorade Athlete of the Year: http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/player-of-the-year/post/_/id/5302/national-roy-futsum-zeinessaillasse
February – By Drake Sterling
- Plymouth alumni Morgan Uceny earns Track and Field News world #1 ranking for 1500 meters
- Entries for the 2012 IR Distance Showcase nearly double from 340 in 2011 to 660 in 2012. The result is fast times across the board including 8 out of 10 meet records being broken. For the first time, the meet features a professional athlete autograph signing, and a rabbited elite mile race. Results: http://indianarunner.com/uncategorized/2012-indiana-runner-distance-showcase-results
- Former Martinsville stand-out Jace Lowry wins USATF Junior XC Nationals: http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=9&do=videos&video_id=58847
- Multiple Indiana grads compete at U.S. Indoor National Championships: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/general-f4/former-indiana-athletes-at-u-s-indoor-championships-t6260.html
March – ds
- Former Warren Central Warrior, DeSean Turner breaks the four minute mile barrier: http://www.und.com/sports/c-track/stats/2011-2012/awresults.html
- Fustum Zeinasellassie opens up the indoor track season, running an astounding 9:00.93 3200 at the MIC Indoor Meet. Carmel’s Renee Wellman also runs 10:54 for 3200.
- Bowman Academy Senior Cornelius Strickland runs a blazing 6.35 in the 55 at the Portage Open, claiming the top spot on the end of the season leaderboards: http://indianarunner.com/results/2012-final-boys-and-girls-indoor-track-and-field-event-performances
- Former Sullivan multi-event specialist, Erica Moore finishes third at Indoor World Track and Field Championships in the 800 with a time of 1:59.97: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI1XSHwoDUE
- Ashley Erba, Lawrence Central Girls 4×4, FW Snider Boys 4×8, Katie Wise, Bishop Chatard Girls 4×8, Eastern Greentown Girls DMR, Kendra Boesecker, Cassie Wertman, and Brebeuf Boys DMR set meet records at the Hoosier State Relays. The Carmel Boys eek out an HSR victory while the Lawrence Central girls win as well: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/high-school-results-f5/hoosier-state-relays-3-17-t6361.html
- Luke Brahm runs 1:55.33 in a tri with North Central and Lawrence North proving he is in excellent shape, only to suffer a season ending injury not long after: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/high-school-results-f5/lawrence-north-north-central-indpls-ben-davis-3-28-t6460.html
April – jf
- Futsum Zeinasellassie notches a huge win at the storied Arcadia Invitational (CA) clocking an all time state best of 8:47.75. http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?do=videos&event_id=63&video_id=63920
- Langston Newton (Carmel) surpasses the 200 ft mark in the Discus (203’08”) which would stand as the best mark of the entire season by a healthy margin.
- Lawrence Central boys run an Impressive time in the not so often contested 4x1600m run at the West Lafayette relays (18:09.15)
- Bethany Neeley and Jason Crist win Franklin Central Showcase: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/high-school-results-f5/franklin-central-flashes-showcase-4-14-t6703.html
- Legendary Indiana coach, Tom Hathaway passes away: http://www.indystar.com/article/20120429/LIVING01/204290325/-b-Life-Lived-b-Tom-Hathaway-coached-distance-runners-ran-marathons-every-state
- Futsum commits to Northern Arizona University: http://www.nauathletics.com/sports/xc/2012-13/bios/zienasellassie_futsum_u9jy
- Conference Indiana lays down some fast times in sprints and distance. Pike boys 4×800 runs 7:49 beating Lawrence Central in the process. Jeron Brown cruises to a 49.17 victory in the 400m. Gary Austin outduels Matt Dorsey to win the 800m in 1:54.76. Christopher Kelsey proves that he is a possible contender for a medal in Bloomington by running a 9:07. On the girls side Chelsea Yeadon and Morgan Haney go 1-2 in both the 100 and 200m. Mackenzie Caldwell runs a 10:59 for the win (3200m).
May – ds
- Indiana Runner launches new re-vamped website! Remember the old site? http://indianarunner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/oldsite.png
- Chrisjaan Smith (Lawrence Central) jumps what would end the season as the highest jump of the season at 6’10” in a dual meet.
- Track Sectional Highlights: Connor Stapleton 37.68 300H, Jeron Brown 24’ 4” LJ
- Regionals Highlights: Cornelius Strickland 10.43 100, Connor Curley 15’ 7” PV, Onyi Afoaku 190’ 5” Discus
- Girls sectional highlights: Kimyanna Rudolph 13’2” PV, Arianne Nelson 19’ 2” LJ
- Regional highlights: Katie Wise 11.92, Taylor Wiley 2:10.75, Bethany Neeley 4:53.23
- Legendary Coach Dennis McNulty retires: http://indianarunner.com/staff-article-archives/an-interview-with-legendary-warren-central-coach-and-iatccc-h-o-f-er-dennis-mcnulty
June – ds
- A cold, rainy girls State Meet doesn’t ruin some fantastic performances including 13 girls going under 11 minutes in the 3200, Skylar Carpenter’s double win, and Cassie Wertman’s continued dominance in the shot put: http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/girls%20sports/girls%20track/2011-12/1112StateResults.htm
- Double win favorite, Cornelius Strickland pulls a hamstring crushing his championship dreams, Gary Austin wins an exciting 800, Jason Crist get’s a well deserved 1600 win, and Futsum breaks the State Meet record at 3200: http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/track/2011-12/1112BoysStateResults.htm
- Futsum runs a 4:04.29c 1600 at the Adidas Dream Mile…off of cross training!
- Girls State Meet: Brionna Thomas double winner in 11.91/24.18, Ashley Erba 10:24.94 3200, Skyler Carpenter triple: 14.13/42.20/18’10”
- FW Snider’s Mitch Dutton runs against top competition at the American Milers Club Series, clocking a stunning 1:50.72. Video: http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=147&do=videos&video_id=71392
- IU’s Andy Bayer (formerly of Leo) wins the NCAA 1500. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V04P0_4VKzg
- Many former Hoosiers compete at the U.S. Olympic Trials. Uceny qualifies for the Olympic team: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7313
July – jf
A month of intense training and little racing provides us with little news but we know it is where runners are putting in the work that would make them successful later in the fall.
- Jonathan Harper (Ft. Wayne Carroll) runs a 15:54, Eric Claxton 16:02, Asher Scott 16:05 at the Runners on Parade 5k, an impressive midsummer effort.
- Brandon Jones takes over as new head coach for the Warren Central XC Warriors
- Ashley Spencer (Lawrence North – Illinois) wins IAAF Junior Championship at 400 meters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlirp8pqw7c
- Matt Dorsey organizes the First Annual Brosman Milk Mile
- FW Wayne’s Brionna Thomas wins USATF Junior Olympics at 200 meters in 23.67! http://www.usatf.org/events/2012/USATFJuniorOlympicTFChampionships/results/F403.asp
- Pike’s Quintynn Qualls runs a State Best at 400 meters in 47.94.
- David Dalton, Zack Snider, Patrick O’Neil, and Sammy Tebeje run 15:42, 15:44 15:48, and 15:48 respectively.
August – jf
The real season gets under way and gets all of us here at IndianaRunner are titillated and by the time it was over, we were not disappointed.
- Relative unknown, Anna Rohrer runs 17:46 debut at Viking Stampede (MI) http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/high-school-results-f5/vikinig-stampede-mi-8-16-t7507.html
- The Hamilton County meet once again showed us that Carmel, Westfield and Hamilton Southeastern would be battling for qualifying spots to Terre Haute. Troy Reeder also made an Early statement as an individual threat by winning impressively in 15:36. On the girls side the Carmel girls started the season with an impressive win and would never look back. http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/high-school-results-f5/hamilton-county-meet-8-28-t7623.html
- Plymouth Grad Morgan Uceny falls at Olympics, ending her hopes of a medal at 1500 meters.
- IR Preseason Rankings reveal Carmel #1 for both Boys http://indianarunner.com/rankings/2012-boys-top-50-preseason-teams-by-jones and Girls. http://indianarunner.com/rankings/2012-girls-top-50-preseason-teams-by-jones
- At the Purdue Invitational Jackson Bertoli got a huge win over eventual state champ Connor Sorrells, while Brebeuf took home team honors with a quality win. http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/high-school-results-f5/purdue-high-school-invitational-8-25-t7582.html
- Mccutcheon boys take the first win in a back and forth season long matchup with West Lafayette at the City/County meet.
September – ds
- Excessive rain challenges meet directors all around the State to redesign course or cancel races
- Troy Reeder wins FlashRock Invite in 15:19; Malyka Abramson in 17:51
- Anna Rohrer defeats Ashley Erba 17:14 to 17:25; Panning posts fastest time
of the day at New Prairie in 15:27
- Erba strikes back at Culver with 17:13 to 17:32. The pair have traded back and fourth the All Time State Best for two consecutive weeks; Poyner is first Indiana athlete in 15:28. http://www.culver.org/athletics/resources/culver-invitational/results
- Valparaiso Vikings and Ari Coulopoulos start to look vulnerable…
- Lemon Lake race management goes under fire: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/general-f4/disappointment-at-lemon-lake-t7995.html
- Indiana Middle Schoolers compete in the State Championship: http://indianarunner.informe.com/forum/general-f4/indiana-middle-school-championships-t8016.html
October – jf
Post Season is in full swing and fierce competition is proceeding in all corners of the state. Joy is found and hearts are broken as teams
move through the state tournament.
- Carmel asserts themselves again as the favorite for the state title as they dominate the MIC meet with 33 points.
- Zach Panning gets an attention getting sectional win by beating the Ft. Wayne Carroll train. Eventually finishes runner-up at the State Meet in 15:26
- Carmel wins the Noblesville Sectional with an impressive 25 points over HSE and Westfield.
- Valparaiso boys dominate their sectional with 24 points and an average time of 16:01. Repeats at Regionals with 28 points and an average of 15:58. Contenders?
- The hardest Regional by far in the state sees Lawrence North (top 10 team) left at home by 6 points.http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/crosscountry/2012-13/1213BTeamBrebeufRegional.pdf
- HSE upsets the Carmel boys and takes home the Carmel Semi State title (37-66)
- Teams 5-8 at the boys NPSS are separated by 4 points (West Lafayette, Lowell, Munster, Crown Point). Hearts are broken.
- Connor Sorrells wins Sectional/Regional (15:28)/Semi-State (15:33) and State (15:21) in impressive fashion as well as State Best 14:58 at home.
- Anna Roher (Mishawka) avenges her mid season loss to Ashley Erba by taking her first State Title (17:13-17:29). Bobbie Burgess continues her impressive season by taking home a fine 3rd place finish. http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/girls%20sports/girls%20cross%20country/2012-13/1213GIndvState.htm
- Ashley Erba commits to Providence
- Indiana Runner logs record 2607 individual message board users in one day!
- The Indiana Runner “Run Your Region” Tee Shirt hits the market: http://indianarunner.com/uncategorized/the-2012-indiana-runner-run-your-region-tee
- -18:15 takes 15th place for the girls state meet. Seems impressive to me, deep too. http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/CrossCountry/201213/StateTournament/tabid/1291/Default.aspx
- Boys Winners from State Meet
- Sorrells, Panning, Eller, Poyner, Coon, Huffman, Carmel, Warsaw, Carroll
- Girls Winners from the State Meet
- Roher, Burgess, Bethany Neeley, Foley, Hostetler, Farrough, Lancioni, Carmel, West Lafayette, Eastern Greentown
Post Season meets are in full swing and Indiana runners are front and center.
- Ashley Erba takes the individual Crown at NXN Midwest Regional in 17:38 on a windy day in Terre Haute. Bobbie Burgess takes the final qualifying spot. Zach Panning is the highest placer for the boys in 8th place, misses qualifying.
- Anna Rorher runs away from the field setting a course record in 16:54 in Kenosha. Bobbie Burgess qualifies for her second national meet by placing ninth. Jackson Bertoli is the highest placing boy in 13th at Footlocker Midwest Regional
- Andy Bayer (IU) suffers season ending injury at the NCAA Regional
- Indiana Runner announces plans to host an elite outdoor track meet as well as a JV XC Invitational in 2013! http://indianarunner.com/featured-content/november-29th-2012-youre-not-going-to-want-to-miss-this
- Zach Mayhew (Indiana/Terre Haute North) is the highest placing individual at NCAA nationals in 13th place. Futsum places 31st as a true freshman while Alejandro Arroyo (Princeton/Culver) placed 58th, and John Mascari (ISU/Terre Haute South) placed 60th.
December – ds
- Carmel Girls finish third at NXN Nationals. Bobbie Burgess finishes 30th overall Carmel Boys are 11th: http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=13&do=videos&video_id=77475 Girls: http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=13&do=videos&video_id=77474
- Anna Rohrer wins the Foot Locke National Championships! http://www.footlockercc.com/2012/results/2012championshipgirls.pdf Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3n-HZ0e-eQ&list=UUnc8AO-1cQzMhRvrZek4XFg&index=3
- Ashley Erba passes up chance to run at NXN Championships to focus on Foot Locker but fails to qualify.
- Young Hoosier Harriers compete at USATF Junior Olympic Championships: http://indiana.usatf.org/News/Indiana-All-Star-Running-Club-Youth-Girls-Finish-2.aspx
- Indiana Runner announces plans to move the Distance Showcase to University of Indianapolis
- HSR qualifications change to top 24 times per event